I have learned so much about dyslexia in the last few months it is amazing! Here are a few things I learned that most people do not know and should:
- Reading is NOT innate.
- Our brains recycled areas to read with, but some people (15-20%) do NOT have the same neurological connections for reading as others.
- Reading for dyslexics is completely different… they cannot simply try harder and succeed.
- You can re-wired your brain! Your brain is amazingly placid.
- Dyslexics CAN receive effective and targeted instruction in the general education classroom.
- There are ways to intervene sooner and lessen the likelihood that a student slips further behind.
- Programs that target dyslexic students should be readily available and common knowledge in the education field.
- If you are only able to reach 80% of your students… you are failing 20% of your students. That is NOT good. Ever!
- You want to strengthen not circumnavigate a dyslexics reading brain.
- If you teach a dyslexic child with generalized education they WILL ALWAYS struggle and move further and further behind.
- You CAN close the gap!
I will try to show you how I am doing it and give you resources to do it too!